The SERVPRO Difference
The containment barrier keeps any dust or debris from entering the unaffected areas of the home.
When disaster strikes at your home, it is important to us at SERVPRO to ensure that nothing else gets damaged when we are performing emergency mitigation services. There are a few steps we may take to protect your contents as well as unaffected areas of the home and neighboring rooms. At SERVPRO we pride ourselves on going the extra mile to ensure your home and your belongings are safe throughout the entire process.
One thing we may do is set up a containment barrier to separate the affected area from the unaffected area. This can be done by using poles that keep the containment up or by just taping the plastic barrier to the ceiling and walls. By doing this we are eliminating the possibility of any dust or debris being blown into the unaffected area while our equipment is running. Containing the dust to only one area makes the post cleanup much easier. Another thing the containment barrier can help do is eliminate cross contamination.
In addition to setting up the containment barrier, we will also use plastic sheeting to cover any items that are still in the affected area such as couches, beds, entertainment centers, etc. It is common for bigger furniture items to be left on site or in the room to remove the possibility of the item being damaged while being moved. Keeping these things covered stops them from being affected by any dust or debris which eliminates the need to have the items cleaned at the end.
In the event there are books or pictures or any small items of that sort, we use boxes to store them. Putting these items in boxes gives us an easy way to remove them from the affected areas and place them in another area of the home. The boxes are labeled by room, making it easy to distinguish where the items came from.
It's the Season For Storms! Are You Ready?
Thunderstorms in the summer can cause numerous unexpected damages to your property. Whether it is flooding in your basement, damage to your roof, or trees puncturing through your windows, storm damage can happen at any time. When the forecast looks grim, it is wise to prepare in advance to ensure you and your loved ones are kept safe.
- Secure fences and outside furniture: Heavy winds can easily pull unsecured fencing and loose patio furniture off the ground, which could cause exterior damage to your house. Make sure your fence is properly secured, and anchor outdoor furniture or bring it inside.
- Check gutters: Make sure your gutters are clear of debris and downspouts drain away from your house to help prevent interior water damage.
- Trim trees: Dead tree limbs near your windows could potentially get loose from heavy winds and puncture through.
- Protect your valuables: If you store valuables in your basement, make sure they are off the ground or secured in boxes.
- Review your policy: Lots of homeowners often find out too late that their insurance policy does not cover certain types of flood damages!
- Create an emergency kit: Make sure your emergency kit has everything you need just in case!
When storms come your way, SERVPRO is ready and prepared to handle any size disaster!
Preparing Before the Storm Arrives
Have you ever thought about what steps need to be taken when you know there is a heavy storm on the way? Storms can cause many different forms of damage to your home, cars, and personal belongings. Storm winds can reach up to 95 mph and knowing how to help protect and secure your home can minimize the damages. Here are some tips to help prepare yourself, your family, and your property when a storm is on its way:
- Designate a safe room for shelter that is always from windows or outside doors like patios. Make sure you have some food and water and emergency supplies in your safe room in case of an emergency.
- Get organized. Prepare your garage by organizing supplies so that your cars will be protected from any severe winds or debris that may be caught in the wind outdoors.
- Close and reinforce your garage door. Making sure you garage door is closed and reinforced with support beams can help in case of extremely strong winds or debris that could come towards the garage door.
- Anticipate a power outage. Having all your devices fully charged in case you need to contact someone in an emergency will be very helpful. Additionally, having battery powered radios and flashlights will also come in handy during the night.
- Collect and store all yard items and equipment. Any outdoor items that could get swept away in the heavy winds are best kept in the garage.
- Stay informed. Keeping the radio or news report on hand so you can be prepared for what is heading your way.
Flooded Basement? That's Our Specialty!
It happens to everyone. Sump pumps fail, pipes burst, sewer lines back up. There is a myriad of reasons basements may flood, and we at SERVPRO have seen it all. Luckily, we are IICRC certified professionals, meaning we utilize industry-standard practices and procedures to make sure your flooded basement is properly taken care of.
After the initial assessment, a crew chief will discuss with you and (if going through insurance) your adjuster regarding the work to be performed, ensuring everything we do is pre-approved and signed off on. When done properly, your basement can be dried out within three days by following standard procedures and utilizing the most effective drying equipment available.
At SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines, we understand time is of the essence when it comes to saving your flooded basement. That is why we make ourselves available 24/7, with an on call crew ready to respond to your emergency situation and be Faster to Any Size Disaster. Call us today at 847-956-1880 to begin the restoration process!
We Can Handle Your Water Loss Damage
Having an accident or flood can be a devastating experience. Even a little water can lead to significant damage if given enough time. It can affect your belongings, furniture, and even the structural stability of your home.
When facing water removal issues in your Elk Grove area home, it is important to have a trained professional on your side. You want to locate the source of the problem, get excess water out of your home, and have someone available to deal with unsuspected damages.
SERVPRO has 24-hour emergency service, IICRC certified technicians, industrial-grade equipment, and years of experience providing extraction, drying, cleaning, and repair services for customers just like you. We understand how water works, making its way into cracks and crevices, leading to expensive damages.
Our technicians use infrared moisture detectors to locate even the smallest amounts of water, water extractors of all shapes and sizes, along with drying and dehumidification equipment to get water out of your home in a quick, efficient manner that limits any losses you may experience.
We can perform wet carpet removals, content, and structural decontamination, humid or flooded basement cleanup services, as well as complete structural drying. We even make sure that the inside of your walls remains entirely moisture-free and perform mold remediation services when necessary to help you maintain a clean, healthy home.
Attempting to perform your water removal services alone leaves you with hidden pockets of water throughout your home that can cause excessive damages in the future. Without the right tools and experience, everything can get out of hand quite fast, leaving you with a huge mess and significant problems that you simply do not understand.
We can provide you and your family with the services you deserve. By assigning qualified technicians, we help return everything to normal in a quick, efficient manner, after an emergency occurs.
Get the help you need by calling SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines, today! (847) 956-1880.
Preventing Fires This Holiday Season
The holiday season is a time of good cheer and an opportunity to catch up with loved ones near and far. However, it is also a time of potential fire hazards. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), between 2016-2019, fire departments responded to an average 190 home fires started by Christmas tree lights, and 870 home fires started by other decorations.
In order to prevent potential fires caused by Christmas decorations, here are a few safety tips to follow:
- Replace old or damaged Christmas lights. If you see light strands with frayed or pinched wires, it is best to throw them away.
- If you have a natural Christmas tree, be sure to water it every day. Dry wood catches fire more easily.
- Be sure any lit candles are secured in stable holders and located in areas where they cannot be easily knocked over.
- Consider LED lights - they stay cool, use less electricity, and are less likely to overheat compared to traditional Christmas lights.
- If you are decorating the outside of your house with Christmas lights, be sure the lights you use are graded to be used outside. Some Christmas lights are to be used indoors only, and these are not insulated and could potentially pose a fire risk if they become wet.
- Do not leave tree lights running overnight. Make sure to switch them off before leaving the house or going to bed or purchase a light timer to set your mind at ease.
In the unfortunate event your home or business suffers fire damage caused by holiday decorations, please give us a call. We at SERVPRO are available 24/7, even during the holidays! 847-956-1880!
What Sets Us Apart for Mitigation?
If you are experiencing water damage of any type in your home, contact our emergency service line 24/7, 365-days a year. We are here to quickly take care of water damage situations for you. Water leakage can cause significant damage to your home and belongings, which is why it is vital to respond to this situation immediately. Our highly trained staff makes your restoration process as stress-free as possible by keeping you informed and communicating with your insurance company to get the most out of your claim.
SERVPRO has IICRC-certified professionals who follow strict safety and health guidelines throughout the restoration process. Rest assured, our team has the equipment, resources, and expertise to perform any repairs, replacements, or reconstruction projects necessary for the restoration.
SERVPRO always strives to be Faster To Any Disaster. With an entire Green Fleet of vehicles, stocked and ready to deploy, our technicians are ready to provide you with professional restoration done right. Contact SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines at 847-956-1880.
Why You Should Choose SERVPRO for Your Home!
Here at SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines, we make it a priority to ensure our customers are taken care of from the first call to our office until the final walkthrough of the mitigation project. We are consistently taking the extra steps to let our customer know we are with them through every step. Our crew chiefs and technicians are exceptionally trained in water mitigation, mold removal, fire restoration, cleaning of structures and contents as well as carpet cleanings. No matter what your need is- our team can handle it.
We love to work alongside your insurance company and adjusters to make sure you are up to speed on every aspect during the project. From our initial inspection at the property, we will be communicating with your adjuster to let them know our plan and course of action to get your home back to the way it was. Additionally, our highly trained crews will be letting you know how we plan to restore the damaged areas before the work has been started so that you can prepare to help move your personal contents from affected areas.
Not only does SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines have a knowledgeable staff, they also will come equipped with the most efficient drying equipment there is on the market. From air movers to large dehumidifiers and HEPA air scrubbers- this equipment matched with the training of our crew chiefs will be the most effective way to dry the affected materials in the shortest time frame possible. Thus, resulting in getting your home back to the way it was sooner.
For more information be sure to check out our SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines website for more insight on how we take care of water, mold, fire, cleaning, and contents!
Recipe for Fire Safety
Cooking Safety Tips:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you have to leave the room for even a second, turn your stove or cooking device off.
- When you are simmering, baking, or roasting, check the food regularly or use a timer to remind you.
- Keep cooking areas clean and clear of combustibles such as potholders, paper towels, food packaging, etc...
- Keep children away from cooking areas by enforcing a "kid-free zone" of at least three feet around the stove.
- If an oven fire starts, turn off the oven and keep the door closed. If the fire does not go out, get out of the house and the fire department.
Please remember that education in prevention is the best way to keep you and your family safe. In the event there is a fire, call your local fire department and then call SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines at 847-956-1880 to help you with all your fire restoration needs.
Does Renter Insurance Cover Water Damage
If you are renting a house or apartment in Mount Prospect, IL, you have probably purchased renter's insurance to cover your belongings in the event of a disaster. You might be wondering, though, how far your coverage extends. Renters should be aware that most policies do not protect a tenant's belongings in the event of a flood.
What Is Covered by Insurance for Renters?
A regular policy for renters will cover your items if something happens to your belongings, including water damage from a burst pipe, certain plumbing issues or a broken appliance. However, a basic policy will not cover damage from flooding. Flooding can be caused by:
- Heavy rain
- Too much snow
- Rising water
- Sewage backup
Renters will need to purchase a separate flood insurance policy for these types of disasters.
Do I Need Flood Insurance?
If you do not live near the coast or in a flood plain, it's easy to dismiss the idea of purchasing flood insurance coverage. However, even a minor flood can be expensive. FEMA estimates that even one inch of water can do thousands of dollars in damage to the contents of a dwelling. Flood insurance will help pay if you need to replace your belongings or use a commercial restoration service. Flooding can happen in any of the 50 states. If you want guidance determining your risk level for flooding, consult FEMA's flood map service to see what zone you live in.
How Can I Purchase Flood Insurance?
The National Flood Insurance Program, or NFIP, is a division of FEMA that provides flood insurance in the United States. The insurance is sold through private companies. Because prices are set by the government, they are consistent no matter what company offers it. Prices will depend on what kind of dwelling you live in and your geographic location. Ask your insurance company if it sells flood insurance.
If you want complete protection for your belongings, make sure your renter's insurance policy is up to date and consider adding flood insurance coverage. You will have peace of mind knowing you're prepared if you need to make a claim.